Monday, September 27, 2010

What has 150% more antioxidants than blueberries?

An Imo Baby!


I am was so excited to find this root vegetable.    Dr. Oz.   spotlighted "the" healthiest foods on one of his shows and one was a sweet potato variety called Imo.  I looked everywhere and no where could I find an Imo.  Well, that's because it is commonly called a "Japanese Sweet Potato."  I find Imo's or Japanese Sweet Potatoes at the Dekalb Farmer's Market and sometimes at Whole Foods.  It's a staple at my house now and here's why!



The women of Okinawa, Japan (who also happen to be the world's longest living ladies) have an "Imo" every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Here are the the benefits of enjoying these delicious potatoes.


One-third the antioxidant activity of glutathione (one of the bodies most powerful internally produced antioxidants)


An antioxidant-rich and anti-inflammatory food: It rates as one of the world's healthiest foods because of it's 13,107 IU of vitamin A. A word about vitamin A for any smokers out there.  An element in cigarette smoke causes a vitamin A deficiency, but a diet rich in vitamin A will counter this effect, thus greatly reducing emphysema. In addition it is rated a very good  source of vitamin C, delivering 28% of your daily allowance.  






Try baking an Imo until almost done. Let cool and throw in the fridge. When you're ready for a side dish of "steak fries", slice these in thick wedges and broil for 10 or so minutes.  After that you can season with salt, cumin, eat with catsup - whatever.  




Also, make your sweet potato pie with an Imo this year.   These are just too good and too good for  you not to indulge.  



8 comments:

  1. love japanese sweet potatoes. my goodness, who knew they were so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! I assumed because it's white that it was hi glycemic with average nutrients but according to the man - one of the healthiest foods in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one a few weeks ago only because I loved the color ... didn't know how rich in antioxidants. Did you see Dr. Oz's recent program about cleaning fruits and veggies? I, too, am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I didn't! Will you please share as I use h2o and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can I tell you this? I can't read a thing on this site..that is, the red font on a red background..never have trubs with other sites..new monitor...

    great site elsewhere but the guts of it is in illegible red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, , , I see your point. I must have changed the background after this post. The original post had a different background so the red type popped out. When I change backgrounds it effects old and new posts. You shouldn't have any problem with my other posts. Let me know and thanks for the feedback! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any Imo juice out there if one doesn't have the time to prepare Imo's or can one just have it raw?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best! bl66dm66n

    ReplyDelete