Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Sustainable Food" - what's that all about?


I realize there may be some of you who read my blog that think 'I hardly have time to do much more than run through the grocery store isle so paying attention to organic, dirty dozen, nutrient dense, super foods and now sustainable foods is just over the top.'  But what the heck, knowledge is power and a trip to your local farmer's market might be a fun Saturday morning adventure.

Remember when grandma talked about canning seasonal foods so they could be enjoyed all year (or better so they could have food to eat all year.) Or maybe an episode of the Waltons?  A Martha Stewart cookbook? The point is we haven't always had food shipped to us from 3000 miles away. There's always a season for something somewhere in our global marketplace.  This global marketplace I speak of keeps me supplied with blueberries year round so I can't complain.  HOWEVER, this convenience is not the most sustainable or the most healthy.

By purchasing local foods in-season, you eliminate the environmental damage caused by shipping foods thousands of miles, environment hazard of disposing the packaging required to ship,  your food dollar goes directly to the farmer and your family will be able to enjoy the health benefits of eating fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables. Local fruits and vegetables require less pesticides and chemicals because they don't have to survive the time it takes to package and ship long distances.  You can ask the local farmer questions about his processes,  like is it organic, do you use pesticides?  Here are a few links to local farmer's markets in and around Atlanta.

Chamblee Farmer's Market, Morningside Farmers Market, Atlanta State Farmer's Market


Now, of course, you'll find "seasonal"foods at these farmer's markets because well, they can't grow it out of season.  There's a whole train of thought in a macrobiotic diet that advocates eating only seasonal, local foods as it's what is best for our bodies.  While I might not want to limit myself to seasonal I absolutely want to know what's seasonal and add to my weekly shopping list! So here is a list of what's in season in Georgia now.

Apples
Corn
Cucumbers
Grapes
Pecans
Sweet Potatoes
Zucchini
Cabbage
Tomatoes

Any seasonal recipes out there you'd like to share?

9 comments:

  1. i'm thinking about driving to elijay this weekend to pick some apples. i have never done that before and think it would be a cool experience. i am also going because one of my clients frequently request baked apples. here's the recipe:
    4 apples, peeled and sliced
    1 tb of brown sugar
    1 ts of cinnamon
    pinch of salt
    combine and put in a oven safe dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. makes a great dessert. if you cook the apples longer you will have homemade apple sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! What a healthy, simple, versatile dish. A little yogurt on top, with oatmeal, endless ways to enjoy this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I еvery time uѕed tо study paragraρh in
    news papers but now as I am a useг of web
    thеrеfore from nοw I аm using nеt for агticles
    or revіeωs, thanκs to web.

    Herе is my webѕite: orgаnic ρotting
    sοil (wzobel.webhop.net)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanκ you for the auspісious wrіteuр.
    It in fact was a amusement accοunt it.
    Look advanced to fаr added agreеable frοm уou!

    However, hoω can we communіcate?

    Check оut my blog post pilates training

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your site.. Εxcellеnt colоrs & themе.

    Did you cгeate this site уourself? Pleаse reply back
    as I’m wаnting to create my very own blоg and want to know whеre yοu
    got thіѕ from or juѕt what thе thеme is called.
    Τhank yоu!

    My sіte - organic products

    ReplyDelete
  6. Аfteг looking over a number οf thе artіcles on yоur websіte,
    I truly apрrеciatе your technique of blogging.
    I addеԁ іt tо my bookmark wеbsite list and ωill be checking back ѕοon.
    Please check out mу ωebsitе too аnd let me
    know how you feеl.

    Feel fгеe to surf tо my ωebsite .
    .. what is going green

    ReplyDelete
  7. Үou madе somе good points theгe.
    I loοked on thе web for additional informatіon about the issue
    аnd found mοst people will go along wіth your viewѕ on thiѕ website.


    Μy blog ρost - what is going green

    ReplyDelete
  8. Мanу thanks

    Feel free tο visit my ѕite - losing weight after 50

    ReplyDelete
  9. bookmarked!!, I really liκe your site!


    Also viѕit mу wеbsite; what does going green mean

    ReplyDelete