Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Perfect Recipe for Exercise.

I have a new favorite salad recipe.  It's very simple with only four ingredients yet packs a wallop as far as taste and nutrients.  It's arugula, toasted walnuts, beets and goat cheese (can't take credit - got it off of preparedbypaige of course!)


Now I could probably leave out the walnuts and it would still taste good and deliver great nutrients. Right? But why would I when each of the four specified ingredients combines together to equal total deliciousness.  I'm going for the gold on this one and not leaving anything out. It's that good!

Same is true for exercise.  There are four primary principles of exercise.  Any one of them is good but together these principals get you the absolute best results. Here they are:

Aerobic: Jogging, walking fast, elliptical machine are all examples of aerobic exercise. Benefits include improved amount of oxygen in your blood, endorphins which act as natural painkillers increase, your immune system gets activated, releases toxins from your body, strengthens your lungs, heart and arteries.

Interval (considered anaerobic) Training: Research is showing that the BEST way to condition your heart and burn fat is to alternate short bursts of high-intensity exercise with gentle recovery periods.  I posted on this a few days ago. If you're doing daily cardio switch out 3 days by doing interval training.  This high intensity training will help you reach your optimal weight and level of fitness in a shorter amount of time.

Strength Training: Here is where you will optimize your exercise program and change your body.  So many benefits as far as building bone density, increasing strength and flexibility, burning fat long after you've stopped. This is a topic I've posted about many times and as a personal trainer and lifelong exerciser I have seen the most improvement in my body by regular strength training.

Core Exercises: Your body has 29 core muscles located mostly in your back, abdomen and pelvis. This group of muscles provides the foundation for movement throughout your entire body. Strengthening them helps protect and support your back, makes your spine and body less prone to injury and helps you gain greater balance and stability.  Pilates and Yoga are great for strengthening your core muscles, as are specified exercises you can learn from a personal trainer.  I incorporate core exercises into all of my workouts. In addition, I personally attend at least one yoga class a week. My body just needs it.

2 comments:

  1. i am amazed by the benefits i get from core exercise. i have not always incorporated them into my routine until just a few years ago when i joined a pilate class. oh my goodness! my abs never looked better, i walked taller, and i noticed throughout the day i would "suck" my abs in. pilates seems to keep me in "check" about my posture. i don't just let my gut hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a couple of "situations" with my back and find nothing helps more than doing a body flow class (combination yoga, pilates and tai chi). It really is amazing how it gets me back to normal.

    ReplyDelete