Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A little tid bit about "Home Remedies"



In my August 31st, "Invasion of the Body Toxins" post,  I listed some natural cleaning alternatives to the traditional VOC (volatile organic compounds) ones that you find in your grocery store.  When you need to protect your self in the home with rubber gloves and open windows it's as if you're handling bio hazardous material.  And the truth is you are! I also mentioned in one of my recent posts that my son Andy is coming home for a visit so naturally it's time to deep clean my house. Thank goodness for company! Fortunately I only had one or two toxic sprays of Scott's Liquid Gold left  to use on my wood floors and furniture.  Knowing there had to be an au naturale alternative I went on a search. And there it was - so simple and trust me it works great!

1 Cup olive oil mixed with 1/2 Cup lemon juice (put lemon juice through strainer so your sprayer doesn't get clogged with bits of the pulp.)   Put in a spray bottle, shake before spraying and don't even think about suiting up with the rubber gloves, your hands will enjoy any olive oil or for that matter lemon juice they come in contact with. Now when you breathe in that lemony smell it will be from real lemons not chemicals.  Love it!

4 comments:

  1. wouldn't the olive oil leave a greasy residue??? did you dust with the solution or use it to wipe down appliances/counter tops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used it on my hard wood floors and wood furniture only. It soaks into the wood just like any furniture polish you find at the stores. But no you're right it would leave a greasy residue on appliances and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly had a housekeeper once who used tea to clean her hardwoods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmm that makes sense and probably helps preserve the the stain.

    ReplyDelete