Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm a Fan of Simple. . . .

You know, "keep it simple stupid"

. . . . there are a million sayings like that which make me think I'm not alone in liking simple. So I went on a search to find a simple list of functional foods that are beneficial to asthma.   My 27 year old son suffered from childhood asthma from age 3 to 6. Miraculously (and thankfully)  he stopped having asthma attacks at six and has not had one since.  However, asthma is a chronic disease and just because the attacks stop, the lungs and airways are still those of an asthmatic.  Andy is coming home for a visit next week and as I am planning menus I wanted to include lot's of functional foods good for asthma. Hence the search for a simple list.  Couldn't find one.  Apples seemed to be the only food item that popped out as beneficial for asthma.  Disappointed, but then I struck on something that made such perfect sense.  ". . . . . nearly every chronic health problem has inflammation  at its root." Chronic health problems include asthma, arthritis, cancer, heart disease, tendonitis, and on and on.  And guess what? Anti-inflammatory foods are the same , free radical fighting SUPER FOODS that we've talked about many times!  All I really need to do is make sure there are plenty of Super Foods in the pantry and include them in as many meals as we have at home.  It's that simple.  


In the decades since processed foods took over the market place, people have strayed further and further away from fresh whole foods. I don't think the rise in chronic disease is very surprising in light of what people put in their bodies these days.  So my Rx is to eat 5 handfuls of any combination of the following foods each day and call me in the morning (make that Monday morning.)



Beans
Watercress
Spinach
Onions
Carrots
Broccoli
Beans
Garlic
Salmon
Kiwi
Blueberries
Cherries
Cranberries
Walnuts
Apples
Olive Oil
Avocado
Green Tea 
Raw, Organic Honey**

** (and don't worry about botulinum, if you're over 1 year of age you are WAY immune to the minuscule amount that may or may not be in raw honey)

2 comments:

  1. oh, i know you are excited for andy's visit! i think simple foods/recipes just taste better. i have clients who ask me "don't you get full tasting the food you make all day" my answer is "i don't taste the food". reason is because i cook with fresh foods. i don't need to taste my soups, veggies, etc. if you don't like the ingredients you see on the plate, then you probably won't like the dish. make sense? keep it simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fortunately do the work for a lot of us and present recipes that make whole foods taste decadent -who knew arugula and beets could taste so amazing by just adding toasted walnuts and goat cheese. Plus that is such an EASY recipe.

    ReplyDelete