Monday, August 16, 2010

Pedicures Aren't Just For Women.

Your feet withstand a lot.  They pretty much carry the weight of your body around all day.  Some of us are on our feet all day with our work and/or we're engaging in activities such as dance, aerobic exercise, etc. So you really need to take care of your feet.  My commitment to wean myself from structured athletic shoes to Vibram's five finger shoes got me thinking about overall foot health.  One of my favorite classes at the gym is Body Combat.  There are a lot of kicks, twists, turns, shuffles and my poor feet take a beating especially my toes as they're  kind of sliding around and bumping into each other within my structured athletic shoes.  I  end up taking a break from these classes so that  my feet can get back to normal.  This class will be a good test for Vibram's five finger shoes. I'll let you know.

But Body Combat classes or not, your feet need attention just like your hands, face, hair, abs, biceps. . . .

If you thought a pedicure was only about pretty nails, think again.  The word pedicure comes from Latin words "pedi" meaning foot and "cure" meaning care.  Here are three good reasons to go right to your local nail shop, sit back, relax and have a pedicure. You too guys!

1.  Cutting and clipping nails is extremely important as it prevents nails from growing inwards and causing  infections.

2.  Sloughing off of dead skin cells from feet prevents dead skin cells from accumulating and causing painful bunions or corns. It also allows newer skin cells to emerge which give feet a smoother and softer feel.

3.  Last but not least the massage portion is very important. It increases circulation in the feet.  Increasing circulation in the feet improves agility and reduces pain that comes from being on your feet all day.  It also maintains the health and performance of foot muscles.

Vibram's five finger shoes and a pedicure, ahhhhhh

2 comments:

  1. ha, i will have to get brian to read this post, then maybe, just maybe, i can get him to have his first manicure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really - I bet his hands and feet take a beating in his line of work!!

    ReplyDelete