Friday, August 13, 2010

Have You Seen These?

The first time I saw someone wearing these in the gym my judgmental side (the one I try so hard to eradicate completely from my being) thought, "what was she thinking?" "Maybe watched Planet of the Apes too many times?"

Well there's a reason I need to continue  keeping my judgmental side in check.  I'll be wearing these as soon as I can get to Abbadabbas. Is it a fad? I don't think so as science and reviews seem to support the benefits of Vibram's five finger shoes.  They are the closest thing to barefoot running while still offering protection with their Italian designed rubber soles.

In 1935 the first rubber soles that were used on mountaineering boots was invented by an Italian inventor and founder of Vibram, Vitale Bramani. Seventy years and many applications later designer Robert Fliri and the grandson of Vitale Bramani sold the concept of "five finger shoes" to Vibram's current President and CEO.  In 2007 Time Magazine named Vibram's five finger shoes the best invention in the category of health.

Here is the logic behind Vibram's five finger shoes that makes perfect sense to me:

The typical human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons and ligaments.  Like the rest of the body, to keep our feet healthy, they need to be stimulated and exercised.  However, experts now believe that most athletic shoes, with their inflexible soles, structured sides and super-cushioned inserts keep feet so restricted that they may actually be making our feet lazy, weak and more prone to injury. Barefoot running on the other hand helps correct form, reduces foot, shin and muscle injuries, improves balance, agility and proprioception. In addition, stimulates the muscles in your feet and lower legs making them stronger and healthier.  True barefoot running is controversial and while I've watched a couple of Peachtree Road Races that were won by barefoot runners I'm not ready to go barefoot but I am ready to test the logic of Vibram's five finger shoes.

One word of caution if you decide to make the switch from a structured athletic shoe to Vibram's five finger shoe, allow an adjustment period.  Your feet need to gradually adjust to the differences in the two shoes.  Here's a link to Vibram's website so please check it out if you aren't already familiar with these shoes. I'd love to hear your comments! Have a great weekend and stay cool!







Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I think it's so funny you descibed your first impression as "planet of the apes". I saw a woman in yoga wearing these shoes and thoughts the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe

    Takes some getting used to but as soon as I can find my size and style I'll be sporting them.

    I read that Vibram had a hard time finding manufacturers to make the shoes as no one believed they would sell. And now they can't keep up with the orders which is why I can't find my size in the style that I want. !

    ReplyDelete