Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tips on Buying Organic

Even though I am very cost conscious I buy organic. I ran across an interesting article today that kinda supported what I knew intuitively. Certain foods retain the many pesticides and chemicals used in today's farming more than others. Makes sense. In general foods like bananas, watermelons, oranges and grapefruits have a pretty impervious skin that prevents the chemicals from seeping into the meat of the fruit. Certain fruits and vegetables are more susceptible to pests and fungus and need more pesticides than others to get them to market. In addition, they have a thin skin which allows the fruit to soak up the pesticides. These are the fruits and vegies that I will go ahead pay more for so that I don't ingest 10 or more different pesticides when I'm getting my 5 daily servings of fruits and vegetables.

Thought I would list what the article referred to as the "dirty dozen".

Peaches
Apples (peeling strips away beneficial nutrients but leaves the chemical residue)
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery (No protective skin at all)
Nectarines (26 different kinds of pesticides used on these)
Strawberries
Cherries
Kale
Leafy Greens (most potent pesticides used to keep these leafy greens leafy green)
Grapes (different pesticides used at various stages of development)
Carrots
Pears

Many of these items are "Super Foods" so I choose to bite the bullet and buy organic rather than eliminate them from my diet.
Very disappointing too to read that coffee beans frequently come from countries that don't regulate the use of pesticides. Never thought too much about to buy or not to buy organic coffee. . . . . until now. Not to mention, I will ponder over whether my occasional glass of wine should be organic as well as grapes get a substantial dose of pesticides throughout the growing process. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

6 comments:

  1. I love this subject! I buy as much organic as I can find. What about locally grown fruits and veggies? I've been hearing a lot about that lately. The theory being, we should support our local farmers who don't use pesticides ... keeps them in business, plus we build up an immunity to local pollen. I hope to hear from your bloggers on this subject as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another theory is that so many imported fruits and vegetables are imported from countries that don't regulate pesticides. I guess regulated use of pesticides is better than non regulated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea, that's a tough one. if i can't buy organic, i always buy local. the "dirty dozen" was sad to see, i love all the items listed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still buying grapes and pears in the regular section ... can't find them organic at Publix. :^(
    I should get my fanny to the farmers marget on Saturday mornings. I do visit the product department every day around 10sm. It's my break from work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see organic in Kroger HOWEVER I ended up not buying an organic artichoke when I got to the counter. It was almost $5. Way more expensive than at the Farmer's Market.

    BTW better taking your break in the produce section than Dunkin Donuts!

    ReplyDelete