Sunday, May 16, 2010

"Don't Let The Perfect Be The Enemy of The Good."

Voltaire makes a good point. The more discussion and reading I do on vitamins in order to uncover the perfect combination, the more I'm convinced there is no perfect prescription for the perfect combination of vitamins. Everyone is different with different needs. My diet is pretty good and taking more supplements is not necessarily better for me. So what I know for sure is my list of daily vitamins is about to shrink. I'll keep taking a daily multi vitamin and switch to Defense Nutrition's plant based formula (which you can find here.)In addition, I will take vitamin D3 which we discussed in a previous blog and switch to Dr. Mercola's "ultra absorbable" truly natural spray.

The supplement I would like to talk about today and one that will also stay on my list is CoQ10. This is one of the few supplements that Dr. Mercola considers highly beneficial for nearly all adults.


CoQ10 is naturally produced in the body (unlike vitamins) but levels diminish as we get older. CoQ10 is an oil soluble substance that the body requires in order for cells to produce energy. In addition to energy the list of benefits is long. It is recommended for angina, and hypertension. It protects the body from free radical damage, reduces signs of normal aging and boosts the immune system.

I'm reviewing information one vitamin at a time so stay tuned for more on standards such as B, C and E. But here's the good news! Chocolate and raw organic honey are REALLY good for you. Can you believe it? I'm looking forward to delving into those two delicious supplements in my next blog.

5 comments:

  1. so, are you saying with good diet - eating foods that have these essential vitamins in them, it is not always best to add to your diet with vitamin supplements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I think a multi vitamin (plant based) can't hurt as most people's diets aren't perfect and you're not going to get overloaded from a plant based multivitamin. However, I think women especially need extra D3 and I'm now in favor of CoQ10 . However not sure if I need extra C E and B since I take a multi and my diet is full of foods providing those. I have an excellent source for this information and will be looking at those vitamins next so stay tuned! And sorry for such a long answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the info on vitamins. I stay in a state of confusion on this subject. You're helping sort this out ... I am definately getting the D spray. I have my levels checked annually and they are usually low no matter how I take my supplement with what combination. I've been walking in a sleeveless top recently hoping to get some that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. servetheservantss

    ReplyDelete