Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Proper Dosage of Vitamin C In The Diet Has Been A Subject Of Much Debate In The Medical Community.

Vitamin C did not make the cut for my new and improved daily vitamin regimen and here's why.
Researchers from the National Institute of Health recommended raising the RDA for vitamin C from 60 mg. to between 100 mg. and 200 mg. So as many as 200 mg are considered safe and my multi vitamin provides me with 160 mg., so I'm covered. Plus my diet includes a lot of fruits and vegetables loaded with the best and most natural form of vitamin C.

The debate going on about vitamin C has to do with taking high doses in the hope that its antioxidant properties will work to destroy harmful substances in the body which is causing illness. The question is whether or not high doses are toxic or helpful? I won't try and sort that one out but if you are interested in knowing more go here as Dr. Mercola has an excellent site for researching natural health topics.

The U.S. Government on the other hand comes up with recommended daily allowances (RDA) from the perspective of preventing deficiencies not as natural therapeutic agents.

In summary, extra vitamin C is coming off of my list. Staying on my list so far is a plant based multi-vitamin, absorbable D3, and CoQ10. There's still B, E and I'm throwing in an extra, Resveratrol, for my continued research.

Someone commented that they liked getting the skinny on vitamins as it has always been a source of confusion as to what to take and what not to take. I feel the same way and I have tried in the past to do abbreviated research that really didn't uncover the answers like researching one vitamin at a time for my blog. Hope it's helpful to you as well.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the C. I get mine through a variety of fruits every morning and mid-afternoon. I will pop a supplement, though, if I feel the sniffles coming on ... I guess I just feel like I'm doing something besides emailing my internist. Everyday, I look forward to reading all this good info on your blog ... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen. and let me know if there's a vitamin you'd like me to research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought whatever vitamin C your body didn't use it was simply eliminated in your urine. I agree that you should try to get your vitamins/minerals from good food sources, but when I feel a cold coming on I throw caution to the wind and take me that toxic dose of vitamin C (and probably zinc too). I swear it cuts my sick days in half. But that's just me! :) Love your blog! Keep on bloggin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vitamin C is water based so you're right about it getting excreted in your urine. Dr. Mercola would probably agree with you on taking extra vitamin c for therapeutic reasons. His site is pretty balanced with both sides of the argument. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete