Friday, April 1, 2011

Don't buy organic if the health value doesn't match up.

I occasionally run into someone who doesn't appreciate or maybe understand the value of organic.  There is a bit of a blank stare. But I understand that as it's only been a few years ago that I started to understand why choose organic. When I started with my blog I began to read more and more about the health benefits, the environmental benefits and the economical benefits of  local, organic, sustainable farming and food. 





So now I get it.  I'm a convert.  I'll go without before I buy non organic strawberries or cherries or other foods that require higher amounts of pesticides to get them to market.  But what if there are foods that are relatively pesticide free even when conventionally grown?  Am I going to hold out for the organic version and pay more - no way!  I posted a few months ago about the "dirty dozen" or foods that you really need to pay a little more for the organic version.  Today my post is the 12 foods that rank as the most pesticide free produce.  So save a few bucks and opt for the conventionally grown version of these:

Onions
Pineapple
Asparagus
Eggplant
Avocados
Mango
Kiwi
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Cabbage  
Sweet peas 

As a reminder I've also listed the foods that you really want to splurge and buy the organic version:

Grapes
Cherries
nectarines
Strawberries
Potatoes
Spinach
Blueberries
Peaches
Kale/Collard Greens
Sweet bell peppers
Apples
Celery


3 comments:

  1. i always know i can come to your blog and read something informative. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one, Beth. I saw on a Doctor Oz show something very similar to your post. He suggested cleaning the non-organic fruits and vegtables with vinegar and baking soda. The combination dissolves the persevative coating and any pesticide still on the food. Something I clean in a bowl, let's say asparagus, I sprinkle with baking soda first and then add the vinegar. If I clean by hand, say a cucumber, I pour vinegar on it first and then sprinkle with baking soda. My hands are so soft afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information Silverhorse - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete