Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Healing Foods - Have you had your onion today?

For all the health benefits onions provide, it would be ideal to eat one a day. May not be doable but add a few onions to your weekly grocery list and try to eat a little bit every day. All varieties are good for you but shallots and yellow onions lead the pack in antioxidant activity. Raw onions provide the best nutrition, but they're still great for you even when they're lightly cooked.

This is another item that up until now never made it into my grocery cart. Maybe if a recipe called for one but otherwise what am I going to do with an onion? They are a great addition to salads so I can handle peeling and slicing a shallot for my salads which are almost everyday. Next, since they're still great cooked this recipe sounds like a tasty side for any meat or poultry dish. I'll give it a try because how can I resist all these health benefits:

Super antioxidant power
Contains quercetin (a natural antihistamine)
Relieves symptoms of allergies and hay fever
High levels of vitamin C
Contains anti-inflammatory properties which help fight the pain and swelling of osteo and rheumatoid arthritis
Rich in sulfur and they have antibiotic and antiviral properties which impede the growth of viruses, yeasts and other disease causing agents
Cleanses the arteries

I used to think my father was pretty goofy. He shaved his head once because he read that his hair would grow back thicker. It didn't. But he may have had the right idea when he went through his eat a raw onion like it's an apple stage. It grossed me out completely then and, well, still does but HEY! he may have been on to something with this one.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Beth! I'll start buying onions again for my salad. For awhile is was purple onions, then for some reason they feel off my list. I'm putting yellow onions on my salad list today. I found watercress at Publix this morning. Not an easy task, either. Didn't have it in the organic secion, darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Lynn! One of my clients has a wrist thing going on and she mentioned that after eating a lot of cherries her wrist felt better the next day. Point is anti inflammatory foods like onions and watercress should help with what appears to be some tendonitis in your wrists and ankles. Hope it helps.

    Yippee - it's raining really hard and we need it!

    ReplyDelete