Friday, April 23, 2010

Time For Some Heavy Lifting!

A "health" program is not diet alone, or exercise alone. It consists of a healthy diet, cardiovascular training and strength training. You're better off if you're doing one of the above but why not go for optimal health and include all three components. When we embark on an exercise program our bodies need the right fuel to keep us performing at our peak. When we eat healthy but ignore exercise we miss out on all the benefits from cardio and strength training and end up with healthy calories producing unwanted pounds. Here's what Hippocrates wrote around 400 B.C.

"Eating alone will not keep a man well; he must also take exercise. For food and exercise, while possessing opposite qualities, yet work together to produce health. . . .and it is necessary, as it appears, to discern the power of various exercises, both natural exercises and artificial, to know which of them tends to increase flesh and which to lessen, and not only this, but also to proportion exercise to bulk of food, to the constitution of the patient, to the age of the individual. . . ." Wow.

So now it's time to talk weight lifting, body building, pumping iron, toning, strengthening. A word to the ladies. Do not worry that you'll get all Arnold Scwarzenegger on us. We lack the type of hormones for those kinds of results. Aren't you glad?

Nonetheless, strength training is very important for women and here's why:

As we age (starting around 30) we lose bone mineral mass and muscle mass. The causes of osteoporosis are varied and include genetics and environmental factors. Certain things we can't control but here's what we know and can control. Strength training can not only prevent loss of muscle mass but help regain lean mass that you have lost. And building muscle mass is the road map to increasing bone density. Numerous studies have been done in which women with bone densities near the fracture threshold increased their bone density with appropriate exercise and upon stopping their bone density went back to baseline.

Strong muscles protect our joints, and increases our strength for activities we enjoy whether it is gardening, golf, soccer, you name it - the stronger we are the better we perform.

I think I've found the right camera. Once I pull the trigger I can go into more detail with visuals that will help you with basic muscle toning exercises. I will also post a picture of my new private fitness studio. If you're in Atlanta and reading my posts , I would love to work with you one on one to jump start your program. Happy Friday Everyone!!

11 comments:

  1. Lord, I wish I lived near you Beth. I need some pointers on what I'm doing wrong. Glad you have this blog, though. I'm learning stuff already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn! Your email mentioned 20 min cardio and 40 minutes stretching and weight training which sounds great. You might try tweaking it as follows:

    Strength training - 3 times per week - 3 exercises per muscle with 12 to 15 reps each exercise.
    Warm up with light cardio for 10 min to get you blood flowing and muscles warm. Then work triceps and biceps on day one; chest and back day two and legs and shoulders on day three. Do stretching immediately after (stretching should come after you've worked the muscle not before) and call it a day or do another 20 minutes of cardio. I actually do strength 4 days and split shoulders and legs into two separate days cause legs are a killer for me.

    On days that you're not doing strength training do 30 minutes on a stationary bike (easy on the joints) and pick up some yoga classes in addition to the cardio.

    I'll talk about form once I'm up and running with a good camera. Sounds like you're doing all the right things and have the will so don't get discouraged just keep on trying to improve on what you're doing.

    Another note. Any area that you feel pain go through the motion of a weight bearing exercise without the weight. This will get blood flowing around the area. Next use very light weight and start working to build the muscle around the sensitive area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth ... I've printed this out and will do as you suggest. I need all the help I can get. I tend to hurt ankles, wrists, and knees. This will help me a lot. Looving forward to your pictures.
    On a yoga note, my class closed. I do poses on the mat at the gym after my work out. But not enough, I'm sure. :>/

    ReplyDelete
  5. are there any exercises that help strengthen wrists??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of a bicep curl but instead a wrist curl - then reverse your grip. Hands and wrists are many small bones and muscle. I would also think of how you're using your wrist and think of positioning that protects against carpal tunnel syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn; Just noticed I recommended 3 exercises per muscle with 12 to 15 reps per exercise. I forgot to add in the number of sets per exercise which is 3. For example, do 12-15 biceps curls with dumbbells then 12 to 15 triceps extensions with a dumbbell - repeat that combo 3 times. Next move onto another biceps exercise such as biceps curl with a bar (changes angle) and a triceps kick back repeat 3 times etc etc . Does that make sense? 3 different exercises each muscle - repeating each exercise 3 times before moving on to the next? Safety tip: don't let your elbows lock out. Keep constant tension on the muscle by beginning the contraction before your elbows lock. Protects the elbow and works the muscle harder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need a trainer! LOL I shall do this to the best of my ability. I tried it last evening at the gym. I didn't do the sets as you laid out here, thanks for that. I do have wrists issues and wear my braces when doing arm exercises.
    Thanks for all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did yoga yesterday and thought about you. Down dogs can create pressure on the wrists. I made a point to take as much pressure as I could off my wrists and onto my arms and shoulders. Thanks for the feedback as it is really helpful for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only do dolphin, can't do down dog anymore. I have to watch all the yoga poses I do; So many use the wrists in the manner I shouldn't do anymore, :^(

    ReplyDelete