Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Diary of a work out

Today I began my strength training cycle for this week. I worked biceps and triceps and then 30 minutes cardio. I was in the gym for approximately one hour and 15 minutes. Not bad? I like to do 10 to 15 minutes of abs and stretching after cardio but basically it takes about 30 minutes for strength, 30 minutes cardio and then 10 to 15 of cooling down with stretching and abs.

Exercise (alternate triceps/biceps, triceps/biceps, triceps/biceps to get your 3 sets of each)

Triceps skull crushers 15 Reps 3 Sets
Biceps curl with bar 15 Reps 3 Sets

Triceps overhead
extension using dumbbell 15 Reps 3 Sets
Biceps curl with dumbbells
on an incline bench 15 Reps 3 Sets

Triceps one arm overhead
extension with dumbbell 15 Reps 3 Sets
Dumbbell Hammer Curl 15 Reps 3 Sets

Here are some tips to help you gauge the weight load. Start with a weight heavy enough that you are really pushing yourself to complete 10 reps with perfect form. Back off of that weight by 20% and attempt to do 15 reps. Once 15 reps is easy start moving the weight up.
Here is a safety tip. Do not lock out your elbows. This puts stress on your tendons and joints and we don't want that. Keep a steady flow so that there is constant tension on the muscle. No stopping at the bottom and stopping at the top but continual movement. Focus on the muscle you're working and let it do the lifting.

Tomorrow chest and back! Please ask questions if any of these exercises aren't 100% clear. Is it really Tuesday already?

4 comments:

  1. "Triceps skull crushers" and how do I do this one? Sounds painful? ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe. Well, lay on a bench. holding a bar with hands exactly shoulder width apart. Extend your arms out straight and in line with your chest. Next, bending your elbows only bring the bar to your forehead and then back up. Be very careful and not let your wrists do the work!! They should not move but rather the elbows. Let your triceps do the lifting when moving back to starting position. Start very light until you get the form down. Hope that helps and glad you're asking questions :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep asking ... looking forward to pictures! Oh, I've been doing the workout you gave me Three times, now. It takes longer, but I think it's a much better work out for me. Not doing as much cardio as you want me to, but I am training better with the weights and machines. Thanks Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally in favor of baby steps and adding on as opposed to all or nothing so RIGHT ON!

    ReplyDelete