Monday, April 19, 2010

Let's "move" on. . . .

After today's post I'm going to take a break from talking diet. It's important and I'll be circling back around but for now here are a few closing comments before I move on to exercise and health. To change your eating habits is a process and if you're willing to start with the "baby steps" I recommend then I can almost guarantee your diet and health will evolve to making healthy eating choices and looking forward to daily exercise. On a personal note, I was 30 pounds overweight in 2002. I decided on a Saturday that if I did nothing else I was going to the gym and sign up with a personal trainer. I started working with a great trainer and began seeing results immediately. His only diet advice for me was to increase my lean protein and eat all the fruits and vegetables I wanted. Initially however, I still craved the junk food I was used to eating so my dinner might be microwave popcorn with some almonds tossed in. The reason I'm sharing this is that I wouldn't consider having that for a meal today. But back then I was in the baby step phase and I was getting results and feeling good so what the heck. As time progressed my diet evolved to what it is today which is pretty clean with occasional splurges that I feel I'm totally entitled to plus I know I'll be back on track the next day! The point is start small and begin the process to change your diet - not "go on a diet." There's a big difference in changing your diet and going on a "diet." Fad diets may very well have worked for you in the past but my guess is they have worked only on a temporary basis. Here is a grocery list that will stock your fridge and shelves with healthy alternatives. Also, I listed some "super" foods so grab some of those while you're doing your shopping. Also! Keep www.preparedbypaige.com handy as this is where you'll find some really delicious and healthy recipes when you feel like cooking and want something different!

Breakfast
Oatmeal
eggs
blueberries
strawberries
bananas
honey
Ground Flax meal (throw some in your oatmeal - great fiber and Omega 3's for healthy skin, nails, hair, reduces cholesterol and on and on. . .)

Snacks
Protein bars - I like Cliff Hanger's but there are plenty out there so find one you like
Almonds
Rice Cakes - Lundberg makes an awesome "cinnamon toast" rice cake
Peanut butter - spread a little on a cinnamon toast rice cake - yum!

Meal (lunch or dinner)
boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Basmati rice
romaine lettuce
tomatoes
avocados
red, yellow or orange pepper
walnuts - instead of croutons
salad dressing
Cajun seasoning for the chicken
Olive Oil
Sweet potatoes - bake (do not over cook) a few whole sweet potatoes and throw in the fridge. Cut into steak fries then broil for 10 minutes and add salt, pepper, cumin, ketchup, whatever
broccoli
spinach (saute garlic in a little olive olive oil and finish with a good balsamic vinegar then throw in raw spinach and let it cook down without heat)

Special treat
Chobani Vanilla Yogurt - this is a Greek yogurt which is non fat and strained in a way that makes it thick, creamy and delicious. Throw in some blueberries and almonds. This makes a great snack or dessert.

A few Super Foods!
Kiwi - double the amount of vitamin C than oranges, more fiber than apples and more potassium than bananas
Spinach - good for vision, brain function, guards against colon, prostate and breast cancer, lowers blood pressure, great for bone health
Cherries - inhibit growth of tumors, has antiviral and antibacterial properties, reduces inflammation, high iron content
Onions - great antioxidant power, inhibits the loss of calcium and other bone minerals, a natural antihistamine
Beans - "a miracle food", lowers cholesterol, regulates blood sugar, promotes digestive health, protects against cancer, a whopping amount of antioxidants, helps regulate your appetite. Tip: go for the more easily digested such as Adzuki and mung beans. Throw them in your salad.

2 comments: