Sunday, April 25, 2010

Feed The Monster

If you are about to begin a strength training program or if you are currently lifting weights remember to "feed" your muscles after each workout. When you work your muscle it loses glycogen stores and the protein breaks down within the muscle. It's this breakdown that allows the muscle to recover and in that recovery process the muscle grows stronger and leaner. So let's be sure and help it out by replenishing the glycogen stores (yes sugar) and increase the protein synthesis with foods that have both protein and carbs. Yogurt is an excellent example. A banana with peanut butter is another great option.

Protein shakes are also an excellent choice to consume before and after a workout (1/2 before and 1/2 after). A word of caution here is that all protein shakes are not created equal. The gold standard is Whey Protein. To read ALL about whey protein look for "The Wonders of Whey Protein" article here It scores the highest in having all the essential amino acids to support growth and health. It enhances the production of glutathione, one of the body's most powerful natural antioxidants and has been shown to boost immune system functioning. One more word of caution. I do strength training 4 consecutive days and will consume 3 whey protein shakes within those four days. I make sure that each and every day I am drinking a whey protein shake that I am also getting an extra dose of fiber rich foods and drinking the maximum water which for me is 104 ounces per day.

I leave you with this thought for the upcoming week - "successful people replace the words "wish", "should", and "try" with "I will".

4 comments:

  1. Do you mix your protein shake with milk or water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use water and vanilla yogurt and ice cubes, The combination makes it more of a shake consistency.

    I really like Chobani greek yogurt. It's non fat and the process they use makes it so thick and creamy. preparedbypaige blog recommends Fage which I've never tried. But definitely think the Greeks have discovered something with the yogurt making. Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Chobani, too. Have you tried Oikos organic greek? I like the Honey one of plain one and I add blueberries. YUMMY!
    Thanks again for all this information, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've seen it in the Farmer's Market and like that it's organic! I'll have to branch out and try Oikos and Fage.

    ReplyDelete