Saturday, October 30, 2010

I Am All About "The Mediterranean Diet."

I thought it was just a new "spin" on healthy eating.  After all, who doesn't know we're healthier when we eat, fruit, vegetables, fish and grains?  If nothing else it's another ringing endorsement for why we should nourish our bodies with food that is health giving and avoid the processed, fast food pattern that Americans invented!

Here's the definition of a Mediterranean diet: "a modern nutritional recommendation inspired by the traditional dietary patterns of poor coastal regions of southern Italy, Crete, and Greece in the 1960s." Wasn't it in the 60's that the golden arches started springing up everywhere in the U.S.?

So it was in the 90's that the Mediteranean diet gained widespread recognition after Dr. Walter Willett of Harvard University's School of Public Health presented the Mediterranean diet food pyramid.

The lowest food group (the one they indulge in the most) in the pyramid is full of breads, pastas, rice, cereal. And olive oil is right there in the middle.  Not to mention daily cheese and yogurt.  My personal recommendation would be to move the pieces of the Mediterranean pyramid puzzle around so that the breads and grains are closer to the top and fish and poultry move closer to the bottom. But what I really think is that there are many healthy options for eating. We need lean protein, healthy carbs and healthy fat. Pretty simple.  It gets complicated however when we substitute lean protein with McAnything, and get our carbs and fats from processed, packaged foods.  What is common in healthy diets is whole food, cooked in your kitchen or at least in a restaurant that is about healthy, local, sustainable, whole food.

A trip to a remote island in Greece to experience first hand their culture and diet would be my recommendation:







6 comments:

  1. i like the concept of the mediterranean diet with the biggest group being breads, pastas and rice! enough to make me want to move to greece! but i have to agree with you and move it on up and bring the fish and poultry down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, my name is Alison and I work for Oldways and the Mediterranean Foods Alliance, the creators of the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid. Just wanted to say I love reading posts like this about people being "all about" the diet. What's not to like? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, I like this concept! I'm going for it tonight with a bowl of pasta, homemade marinara, good bread and some vino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, There's no doubt that your website could be having web browser compatibility issues. Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in I.E., it's got some overlapping issues.
    I merely wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!

    Aside from that, fantastic site!

    Feel free to surf to my webpage easy diets that work

    ReplyDelete