Friday, October 8, 2010

Let's talk GMO's. . . . . again.

I will finish my series on strength training beginning Monday with chest and Tuesday with back - can't leave those out!

However,  today I feel compelled to talk again about GMO's (genetically modified organisms) in our food.


It's been a while since I posted on this insane practice and I found a really great site that I wanted to share with you that lists those GMO foods to avoid and companies and products that are GMO free or "non-GMO". But first a brief explanation at my dismay over this practice.

I find it disturbing that plenty of our food (fresh and packaged) comes from seeds in which the seed has been genetically modified.  What that means is the seeds used to grow corn for example have come from a lab in which they are injected with pesticides. These seeds are labeled "resists pests" but it means of course that they "contain their own pesticide."  So when a pest takes a bite from the plant the toxins kinda split their stomach open killing the pest.  No matter how these large companies rationalize why we can resist these toxins in our stomachs - I say why should I knowingly eat toxins? Don't we get enough in our environment without choosing to eat them?

As a quick summary I've listed 3 Tips in avoiding GMO products.  But here is a great brochure that lists everything from protein bars to fish that are non-GMO.

Tip #1 Buy Organic - Certified organic products are not allowed to contain GMO's
Tip #2 Look for "Non-GMO" labels
Tip #3 Avoid "at risk" ingredients such as Corn, Soy, Canola


I like what Jamie Oliver is doing with his talent by helping schools develop a healthy lunch program. Plus, I just like him and miss his show "The Naked Chef."  Did anybody every watch that?  Maybe it's still on?  Anyway, not really anything to do with GMO's other than to celebrate the positive that some people and organizations are doing!

2 comments:

  1. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39265727/ns/health-food_safety/

    check out this article about genetically altered salmon - it's disgusting! i find myself buying more and more produce from farm stands these days. no wonder there are so many cancers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! I was glad to read that the Europeans aren't buying genetically engineered food. I'll be very interested to see if the FDA approves this Frankensalmon!

    ReplyDelete