Monday, October 4, 2010

Blast those triceps!

Triceps are that group of muscles that make up the back of your upper arm. You know, the ones that can keep waving long after you've stopped.  I compartmentalize my workouts so that each day I work two muscle groups (i.e, biceps/triceps - chest/back -shoulder/legs) for three consecutive days and then fill in the rest of the week with yoga,  group sculpting class, body combat and a day off. However, because I have a significant predisposition to carrying extra skin (surely it's not fat) in that area I'll sneak in a few triceps exercises on my chest/back or shoulder/legs day.  It's a life long challenge to keep my abs and triceps in check! The good news is I have finally accepted that my arms are my arms. They fit my body and they're never going to look like someone who was born with a lean upper body.  But I'll keep fighting the fight so they don't look like dear Aunt Mazelle's.  If this too is an area of concern for you try this.

Do your dips:

or kick backs:

or extensions:


 and then immediately drop to the floor and do as many pushups


 as you can.  It will give you an extra burn and exhaust your triceps muscles. Also think about using a weight that you can successfully complete 10 to 12 reps with perfect form.  Once you're there increase the weight ever so slightly so that you can now only complete 5 or eight or even 3 with perfect form.  To get the results you want it takes a weight heavy enough to challenge you to complete 10 to 12 reps.  Once you've met the challenge it's time to increase the weight.  And women if you're reading this thinking you don't want to look all bulked up - don't worry, you can't.  We don't have the testosterone for that which is why for toned and sculpted arms you need the weight! Trust me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment